Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hair Dryers are more useful than I thought ...

The last few weeks or even months of pregnancy, everyone kept saying "catch up on your sleep now." That's good in theory, but really, there is no amount of sleep that I could have banked that would have helped prepare me for this. I feel like that's saying "just don't eat for 3 weeks so that you can have an entire cake next month." It doesn't work like that or at least it shouldn't.

One thing I felt I was prepared for was that I wasn't going to be sleeping, and I'm fine with that. In fact, it hasn't been that horrible. Noah is a very good baby. He sleeps a lot during the day and when people are around and then everyone leaves and he's then up all night long ... in fact, Greg is up right now trying to use the hair dryer to coax him into getting some zzz's (see "Happiest Baby on the Block").

I know it's normal and that babies are up a lot. I've been reading articles about sleeping babies and how you can help ease them into a sleep routine ... I haven't really found any very good advice. In fact, one said "to get baby used to sleeping at night, get them on a regular sleep schedule." Seriously? Who's the genius that paid you to come up with that? I could have told you that with or without a baby. Maybe if I tell him that sleeping through the night will help him have a more restful day, maybe that would work? I'm thinking probably not.

Again, I don't mind being up, I was expecting to lose all of my sleep once the baby arrived, but it's still difficult. I hate hearing him cry or seeing unhappy. Not because it's annoying, but because I don't want him to be sad or unhappy and I want to be able to always make it better. Isn't that what mom's do, make it better?

I think we're on the right track to figuring this out and I know it will take time, but I'm ready to make him happy now and possibly to get a sleep in between.

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!