Friday, July 18, 2008

Five Already?

Tuesday is Gary's 5th birthday! Yes, I know, it's just my dog and who celebrates a dog's birthday? Well, I do:) It's not like I enter him into dog contests and decorate my house in golden retriever motifs, unless you call golden retriever fur decoration. I just love my dog and look for any opportunity I can to celebrate things with my family.


Gary in Lake Tahoe

I took Gary to the vet today because he had some bumps in his ears ... the vet was not concerned with the bumps, instead she found that Gary has a yeast infection in his left ear (not the ear with the bumps). Poor little guy has been very itchy and with good reason, that stuff is gross!!! So now, he has to do drops and ear wash and use special toe wipes and a special vinegar solution rinse ... he's officially all grown up. Also, turns out that I'm not the only one who has put on some baby weight. Poor Gary has also suffered from my inability to run and has gained a few lbs.

I feel very badly about not realizing he was so uncomfortable and I also feel bad that he hasn't been getting enough exercise and has gained some weight. The vet looked at me and said "Well, don't let him gain anymore!" Like I did it on purpose! I felt like she was scolding me and I immediately felt like a bad mom.

It's amazing how close we become to our animals. I know this relationship changes when kids arrive, but animals have always been a big part of my family. It's been a rough year... my parents lost two of our family pets, Benny and Gil very recently and also our dog Maxwell is not feeling so great these days.

I remember when my mom and Ed brought Maxwell home and he would sleep with me in a box in front of the TV. I remember picking out Gil at the pet store when I was 15 because the woman told me he was feeling depressed because he felt like no one wanted him. I remember Benny eating some person's pancakes at one of my soccer games and I remember him slipping on the dance floor before my wedding. It's hard to imagine a house without dog fur or crunchy stuffed animals. It's hard not to come home to a smiling, fury face. Each animal has such a distinct personality and I believe that they are the best because they are my family. I imagine that's what it's like with kids ... you never know how special the experience will be until you have one of your own I suppose, but I can imagine that you always feel like yours is the most special and most unique.

I know I'm not a bad mommy and that Gary will be fine because this stuff will clear up in no time, but I felt bad. So this weekend I promise to buy Gary a new baby, that's what we call his stuffed animals, to help him celebrate his 5th birthday and on Tuesday, he'll get a special, lo-cal, b-day cake to share with his relatives.
Max and Benny

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!