Monday, July 21, 2008

Two out of four

I've now had two our of four of my showers. The first one was hosted by my girlfriends and was so much fun. It was nice to bring together my oldest friends with my new friends. It's a strange transition ... some of my friends have kids, some are married and some aren't, some are still in school and some aren't.

I always thought I would be the last one to be married and the last to have kids, but at the same time I remember when I was in grade school thinking I would be married, have kids and a career by the time I was 23. This all changed as I got older, thank god, because I like where I'm at. I like that I have surrounded myself with old friends that I have known me since I was 6 and new friends that I just met a few years ago. It all helps to remind me that things are constantly changing and that it's not entirely bad ... I'm someone who resists change and loves habits. So the reminders are helpful.

My first shower was so much fun. My friends brought together all of my latest favorite things, for example they had my tasty orange-slice water. We even played some games, which I'm generally very hesitant to do because I have a fear of being measured or having people guess my weight (these are typical baby shower games, I swear I'm not crazy or paranoid!), but the games were super fun and I could tell that my girlfriends put in so much thought into making the day special for me and BHR.

My second shower was on Saturday and was hosted by one of my mom's oldest friends and her daughter. This shower was different because it was mostly my mom's friends and people that had known me from before I was born, even my cousin made the special trip out from Arizona to help celebrate the weekend with me. It's nice to compare the stories of how we've met or how they knew my mom, because she was around my age when she had me.

Everyone went around the table and shared how they knew me ... this brought up several special memories. What was so cool to me was to think about my first shower and how I hope those same women will still be in my life when BHR is grown and how they will be able to tell the stories of meeting me or knowing me before BHR was born.

My mom has surrounded herself with such special people and such kind people ... she's built a real community and family for us in Sacramento. I'd like to think that my first shower will one day be like my second shower. (does that make sense?) I hope that BHR will get to hear about his mom and the stories of her being pregnant and eating 800 bread sticks at her shower. Hopefully he will always be surrounded by a community of family and friends that is constantly growing and expanding much like mine has been the last 29 years.

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!