Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Oh orange slice-filled iced water ... how I love you!

I'm up in Tahoe for work and we are staying at a very cool place, Plumpjack Squaw Valley Inn. I have stayed here several times for work events and I love it! Aside from the girl with the zig-zag pigtails that checked me in last night, everyone is really nice and it seems like they all take their happy pills before coming to work. (In zig-zag girl's defense, she had just gotten out of the hospital and hurt her back, so mabe her happy pills hadn't kicked in yet, but still, why do you have such perfect zig-zag pigtails if you are in so much pain, and I won't even talk about the fact that I think she might be too old for the pig tails ... bygones.) So, I love this place. It's a perfect week for me to be up here because Sacramento is ass-hot this week and the air quality is even worse. It's still smokey up here, but I don't mind staying indoors because I'm at Plumpjacks!

So this morning I decided to start my day by going to the little gym downstairs and walking on the treadmill (the air quality outside didn't appear to be very safe). I walked in, filled my bottle with the delicious orange sliced-filled ice water and turned the corner to find that they only had one treadmill! What?!?! AND, there was some older lady on it walking.

Before I got pregnant I would go to the gym and hover around the ladies on the treadmills, especially the ones that weren't running. I felt like,I'm a runner and I should have priority because I'm going to really use the treadmill for what it's intended for. (I was a bit of a snob I think). I felt like, if they are just walking, why can't they use and elipitical or something else becaue are they really getting a workout? I have to apologize for my behavior back then, it was uncalled for and now that I am a regular walker I think I have a better understanding.

That being said ... I still have one little complaint about treadmill walkers and that is this. If you are going to walk on an incline and crank up the speed, are you really doing yourself any good by then holding on to the top of the treadmill for dear life? Wouldn't it just be easier to lessen the incline and the speed to something where you can move and use your whole body? Maybe that's just me and maybe I'm wrong, I am new to this walking world, but seriously lady, just a few notches lower and I bet you wouldn't need to grip the upper bars until your knuckles turn white.

So, the one treadmill in my little happy gym was taken, so I used the eliptical machine and read my new (borrowed) book. It's the "girlfriend's guide to pregnancy" or something like that. Evryone has told me that i have to read it. So, I was skimming through and reading this one part where she talks about how your body changes when you'repregnant. I found myself relating to what she was saying and then wanting more. Don't just tell me I'm going to have cellulite everywhere and I could get stretch marks and extra hair... is it going to go away?!?! Can I work it off or am I stuck with "thknees" for the rest of my and BHR's lives!?!?! Cheese and rice lady, gimme some answers ... don't just tell me these things happen and leave it at that.

Even though I know that I'm looking for answers that I won't find in a book and I'll have to be patient to see what happens once BHR arrives and I learn about life after childbirth, I'm going to keep searching for that one answer ... the one that tells me I can do this, that I can be a mommy, be active, go to law school and get rid of my ass-thigh-knee-cankle-combo. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!