Monday, July 7, 2008

Who the F puts bacon in Potato Salad?

Fourth of July came and went and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Our annual "Yellow Dog Cup" was much smaller this year, but still festive. We missed Ed and it definitely wasn't the same. I missed doing fireworks, but my mom and I held our heads out the bedroom window and watched a few of the giant explosions at the park. We also saw an owl land on the front lawn, and I think that's good luck...

There's something very special about my mom's house ... not just because it's where I was raised, but something different. Even when things are bad, the house seems like a safe haven. I feel protected there ... everything tastes better and feels better and smells better. Even on an off night, everything is more special. Most of it has to do with my family and memories of joy and laughter, but I also believe that there is something extra special just there. For the most part, I'm not a sprititual person, but I when I think of positive energy and happy thoughts, I definitely think of my mom and Ed's house. I'm sure they don't always see it that way ... when things break or burst or bees are living in the walls, but when we're all there, everything seems almost perfect.

Back to the Fourth ... The weather mostly cooperated and I was able to be outside with my family and do my annual 4th of July Free Fun Run, which was actually a walk because I'm not running:(


It was fun though ... walking 5 miles put races in a new perspective for me. It takes a long time! As my brother put it "We won in reverse." I'm pretty sure we were the last ones across the finish line, but it was fun and I felt accomplished the rest of the day.

We had potato salad at my mom's later that day and ever since then I have been really craving potato salad ... but it feels like there is a strange force out there that is preventing me from having it!


On Sunday we were at Greg's sister's house and they had potato salad and it looked so good! So I piled it on plate and took a bite. I felt my mouth go up in flames and realized there was some jalapenos in it. Now I love spicey food, but unfortunately along with BHR has come a wicked case of heart burn, so alas, no more potato salad for me.

Today I walked around the corner to the weird salad shop that's never as good as you want it to be and I saw that they had potato salad. I was a little bit excited because I felt like I could finally satisfy the potato salad craving. I got back to my office, took a bite and there was something strange.... something smokey ... something I don't eat ... it was bacon! Who puts bacon in potato salad?!? I never thought to ask "is your potato salad vegetarian?" Cause who the F puts bacon in potato salad? I tried to eat around it, but everything was so mashed together ... looks like I'll have to go another day without that starchy, bad-for-you salad.

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!