Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ode to my dog


I've been walking a lot more lately ... I feel a lot better than I did earlier in the pregnancy. Not just health wise, but about the entire experience. I'm finally really showing! Like there's a noticable baby growing in there, it's strange, but it comforts me a bit. This process has been slower than I thought it would but at the same time, if feels like time is just flying by. I'm getting excited about meeting BHR and introducing him to my world and having him introduce me to his. Maybe not his world entirely, but I'm excited to see my world through his eyes. What will he think of the house and family and wind and food and everything that happens around us?

I'm excited to introduce him to Gary. How anyone can not look at Gary and immediately smile is beyond me. I've been spending a lot of time with him lately, enjoying him as much as I can before I have to start summer school.

He's my walking partner and I hate leaving him in the mornings, but I love seeing him when I get home. He checks on me when we walk and leaps along side me. Sometimes I find myself getting irritated by how obnoxious he is on the leash, but then I look down and he's looking up at me with his goofy face and his tongue hanging out of his mouth and then I forget why I was upset ...

I know people keep saying that I won't love Gary the same way once BHR arrives, but I can't imagine that happening. I'm not completely dillusional. I know that BHR is a person and Gary is a dog and that my priorities will change, but I don't know different loves like that. Gary is part of my family and part of who I am and who I've become. I'm completely aware that he is a just a dog, but what's wrong with that? Dogs can teach you a lot about yourself and if we were all as happy as Gary I'm sure the world would be a much better place.

When people say "you won't love your dog the same way once the baby arrives" it only makes me want to work harder. It's like challenging me to something and if someone wants to challenge me to loving my dog, I'm fairly certain I'll succeed. Until then, Gary, BHR and I will keep up our walking and wait for BHR to officially join our family.

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!