Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pools, ice cream and posicles

It's 100 degrees outside. I feel like I shouldn't say anything because the people that live here already know how hot it is, however I feel compelled to mention it because this is our first 100 degree weekend. When I say "we" I'm referring to me and BHR. I'm sure this won't be our first hot-weather test because as so many people like to remind me, I have to make it through the entire summer.

I know it's going to be hot. I've lived in Sacramento for almost 30 years, so I know what happens here in the summer. Sometimes when people tell me its going to be hot I feel like they're challenging me to a dual. Like when I signed up for my first marathon and people kept saying "you know that's 26.2 miles right?" Telling me how far it was didn't deter me from participating in the training process. In fact it only made me want to prove them wrong and so began my marathon career ...

Maybe people telling me how hot it is or how it's going to be is like any other challenge. That doesn't mean I'm going to stand out in the sun to prove that BHR and I can handle the heat, but we're going to take the challenge. I understand that having a baby is different than training or even doing a marathon, it's more real because it's a life, a person that I'm responsible for. But maybe I can look at the journey and the process like a marathon or law school.

I love each and every marathon for many different reasons. There has only been one marathon that I didn't love and I learned from that experience, just as I will learn from this one.

Maybe I can look at pregnancy as one part of the training process ... BHR and I are up for the challenge. Or at least I hope we are.

As for the heat and the hot summer ... that's what pools, ice cream and popsicles are for right? Sure I'll complain, but haven't I always?

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!