Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Athleticism, thighs and toe-thumbs

I have always thought of myself as an athlete. I really enjoy that label. I think it connotes someone who is strong. I have never considered myself particularly smart, but I have always felt strong. I remember when I was a kid, wishing I had long, lean thighs like the other girls and my mom would say to me "you have strong legs." I don't know if that made me feel better, but now, I appreciate them a bit more.

I know that I can run up and down the soccer field for a full game or run 26.2 miles and still walk the next day, these are things that I have always liked about myself. Of course I have also been resentful of girls who can wear skinny jeans and have a space in between their thighs, these are the same girls with the perfect pony tails that swing from side to side ... is it bad that I'm secretly hoping that BHR gets Greg's thighs?

I've always wondered if had longer legs, would I run the same? Would I still have earned the nick-name twinkle toes in grade school? Would I run like my mom? I have always liked that I had that in common with my mom, it's distinct and builds character. While I secretly hope that BHR gets Greg's thighs, I also hope that BHR gets my unique style of running down a soccer field ... afterall it builds character. (Sort of like my toe-thumbs) I'm not saying that Greg doesn't have character, but I'm sure he never struggled trying to pull up a pair of pants over his thick thighs. (side note, when we were first dating, Greg was in the shower, I tried on his jeans to make sure that they were too big ... if they fit or were too tight, we were so going to break up! Obviously they were too big cause we're still together).

I'm having a hard time letting this strength go while I'm pregnant. My running pace is over two minutes slower than before, and I can't run quite as far. I know that I will be able to gain it back after I have BHR and perhaps I could become even stronger, but it's a very hard transition.

I'm counting on my athleticism to help me through labor, because honestly these big thighs better be good for something other than running a marathon and to build character!

No comments:

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!