Thursday, April 17, 2008

Plastic Sandwich container

I was thinking while I was making my lunch at work today, and secretly wishing I had one of those plastic containers in the shape of a sandwich because they are cool, about names ... since we don't know the sex yet we haven't really decided on a name yet. Naming someone is so much pressure. I don't want BHR to resent for giving him/her a name that they hate, but then again, you can't leave it up to them to decide because that could take a really long time ... I mean they would have to learn to speak first and I think that takes some time. Anyway, my point is that BHR is going to need a name, and it's up to Greg and I to come up with one.

When I was younger I didn't like my name, I wanted a name like everyone else's. There were always 3 Katie’s, and several Andrea’s and Tiffany's and I wondered how come no one had my name. I hated, and still hate, saying my name out loud, but that's because of the "is it 2 syllables or 3 syllable debate" and my mouth twists in a funny way .. .anyway, now I love my name! I love that it has history and that I was named after someone, someone who was loved and someone who was a part of me at some point.

The story is this ... I was supposed to be named Abigail and three days before I was born my grandma Julia passed away. In the Jewish religion you are named after someone who has come before you and is no longer alive (is that a nice way to say that they are dead? It's so uncomfortable and I don't want to offend anyone). So, bye bye Abigail and hello Julia. I like telling people that I was named after someone, even if I didn't know her.

When we are thinking about names, I have always assumed I would name my child after my father, Michael, because he passed away when I was 16. At the same time, I am also thinking about other names that I like or people I could name BHR after ...

I don't want to name him/her after a movie star, because that could seem vain. I have always liked girl names that can also be boy names, like Josephine and Jo and Alexandra and Alex. But, whenever I think of the name Josephine I think of Dawson's Creek and then I think of Katie Holmes and I don't BHR to have to say I was named after Katie Holmes the crazy lady that married that guy that jumped on the couch.

What about naming BHR after a person who has done or does good things in the world? Like Ghandi Himovitz-Ries or Mother Theresa Himovitz-Ries. That could get confusing because then I would have to call BHR Mother and then he/she might get confused when they call me something … anyway, my point is that it’s hard to pick a name.

I want BHR to have a name with meaning and a name with history ... not a name of a character on bad WB show that I just can't stop watching! Even though I know what's going to happen in every episode, I keep watching ... it's like TV crack. Awful.

1 comment:

Runnergal said...

I would love calling your daughter Mother!! Leah makes for a lovely name as well, yet, alas, I am still alive...

Gary and Blue Baby

Gary and Blue Baby
I love my blue baby ... thankth for vithiting BHR!